BOUNCE: Takeaways from week 3 of the Summit Summer League

Canterbury’s John Parent goes up for a basket during August 23’s Summit Summer League. (Photo by Cole Wieland)

Week three of the Summit Summer League continued a winning streak for Team Durnell (even though the players change), some breakout performances and a final game of the night played with the closest score heading into the Elam Ending yet.

The night was filled with individual performances that shined, including one of the better scoring breakout performances of the three weeks, an area star hitting his stride, a rising junior showing off his game changing shooting and an underrated varsity starter showing his growth.

For those still learning about the Summit Summer League, each week the teams will change and players will play with different teammates under different coaches. The games are played in two 18-minute halves with a 24-shot clock and an Elam Ending to close the games out.

What is the Elam Ending? The clock in the second half is stopped at two minutes and seven points is calculated to the winning team’s score; that total becomes the target score that needs to be hit to achieve victory.

Team Durnell 63, Team Rauch 51

The game starting with a strong two-man game with Jevon Lewis (Wayne) and Tucker Day (Canterbury) really was a focal point early for Team Rauch. Team Durnell kept making switches defensively and eventually Team Rauch took advantage with Lewis finding Day with great success. Team Rauch went up 8-0 on a Joey Taylor (Churubusco) three with 15:24 left in the first half.

With 13:24 left, Jackson McGee (Leo) hit a three to put Team Durnell on the board, leading a 5-0 run to make it more of a game early. With 10:28 to play, Wyatt Weaver (Homestead) rebounded a Gannon Smith miss for an and one to make it 10-8 game, before Jake Stoy (Prairie Heights) struck back for Team Rauch on the other end. With 8:12 to go in the first, Team Rauch extended their lead back to eight, 18-10, on a second Ayden Moore (Leo) three, added to on the next possession with a Jake Coolman (Homestead) triple.

With 7:35 left, Makhi Davis (Northrop) went up and under for a pretty scoop in lay up to end the bleeding for Team Durnell. Moore, who was one of the biggest breakout players of the week, added another basket with a baseline midrange hit with just under seven to play to put Team Rauch up 23-12. With 1:19 to play, Kobe Hudson (Northrop) stayed patient with a multi look step through to make it 29-16 Team Rauch but Team Durnell just wouldn’t go away before halftime. Jackson Davis (Canterbury) cut it to 29-19 for Team Durnell with 40 seconds to play, and with 13 seconds left McGee added a layup off an inbounds play to cut the Team Durnell deficit to 29-21 at the half.

Keegan Combs (South Side) opened the second half for Team Rauch coming off a curl for a three pointer from the top of the key before McGee scored back to back to back baskets to cut the Team Durnell deficit to 32-30 with 15:22 left in the game. Team Durnell finally seized control, 37-36, with 13:11 left on a McGee triple as Durnell’s team continued to be hounds defensively and get out running on offense. With 11:48 to play, Gannon Smith (Mississinewa) hit off a spin move in transition for Team Durnell to go up 39-38 and with 10:58. Durnell had a solid lead but Taylor helped respond with a triple for Team Rauch and Lewis hit another triple for Team Rauch to go up 44-42 with 8:02 to play in the game.

The seesaw game continued with neither team taking bigger than a one possession lead until 5:47 was on the clock when McGee scored to push Team Durnell back ahead 50-46. Back to back Owen Prater (Rochester) baskets with 4:49 to play pushed the Team Durnell lead up to a then game high 54-46. With 2:49 to play, Moore hit his third triple of the game to cut it to 56-49 in Team Durnell’s favor heading into the Elam Ending.

With 63 point target score for Team Durnell, McGee opened it with a three for Team Durnell followed by a midrange pull up on the other end to take a 61-49 lead. A Gannon Smith to Michael Raudenbush (Homestead) find ended the game, 63-51 in Team Durnell’s favor.

OTH’S PLAYERS OF THE GAME: Jackson McGee (Team Durnell), Ayden Moore (Team Rauch)

Leo’s Ayden Moore hits a layup during August 23’s Summit Summer League. (Photo by Cole Wieland)

Team Traylor 66, Team Rauch 62

The early stages of the game were led by a top tier physicality from Qualyn Clopton (Snider), who opened the scoring for Team Traylor with an opposite side finish after just bodying his way through a defender to the rim. He was actually on his way to do it again a couple of possessions later before Jake Coolman (Homestead) stepped in his way and forced a tough jump ball and then on the other end, found Tucker Day (Canterbury) for a nice pick and roll bucket for Team Rauch. On the next possession, Ayden Moore (Leo) added his fourth triple of the day to put Team Rauch up 7-6.

On back to back possessions, Jake Stoy (Prairie Heights) showed phenomenal defensive pressure to come up with stops and each time he delivered a tremendous no look pass, but neither time did Team Rauch come away with scoring.

With 7:46 to play in the first half, John Parent (Canterbury) got to work and his putback cut the deficit to one for Team Traylor, who on the next possession, got a Ryker Quake (East Noble) three in transition to put Team Traylor up up 17-16. Quake’s next three the very next trip made it 20-16 Team Traylor. Parent continued showed really great energy getting downhill and an and one near the five minute mark pushed Team Traylor’s lead back big at 25-18. With 1:47 to play, Kyle Hartsough (Lakeland) got involved with a deep three to put Team Traylor up 30-23; they lead 32-25 at the half.

With 17 minutes to play, Tyler Waybright (Columbia City) hit a three that gave Team Traylor back a 10-point lead before Jevon Lewis (Wayne) struck back with a basket, a steal on the inbounds and another basket to make it 39-34, though still in favor of Team Traylor. With 13:54 left, a Joey Taylor (Churubusco) basket cut the Rauch deficit to 39-38 but Preston McCann (Mississinewa) answered back finally for Team Traylor with a three from the top of the key. With 13:01 to play, Parent hit a big spin move for Team Traylor for a basket, continuing a day where he was showing off his offensive versatility. With 11:30 to play, Conner Slee (Fremont) got involved with his second straight basket on a nice cut to the rim for Team Traylor to go up 48-40.

The teams exchanged baskets for multiple minutes but with 6:30 to play, Owen Smith (Homestead) threw the long ball to Lucas Lemmon (East Noble) for bucket that pushed Team Traylor up 54-46. Team Rauch answered with multiple options as Moore, Tucker Day (Canterbury) and Lewis all scored to cut the Team Traylor lead down to 56-53. With 3:44 to play, Taylor got downhill in transition to give Rauch their long lost lead back at 57-56. Heading into the Elam Ending, Team Traylor led 58-57 after Clopton again just bodied his way to the rim setting the target score at 65. 

A Lewis to Day find in transition gave Team Rauch a 62-58 lead late. Quake then answered for Team Traylor to cut it to one and on the next possession a lot of ball movement led to Parent three in the far corner and put Team Traylor up 64-62 with each team one possession away from the win.

Rauch called his well saved timeout but a Lewis three was off the mark allowing Traylor to have a shot at the win with McCann fighting against Coolman’s defense, eventually finding Parent cutting back door for the Team Traylor win, 66-62.

OTH PLAYERS OF THE GAME: John Parent (Team Traylor), Tucker Day (Team Rauch)

Prairie Heights’ Jake Stoy scores during August 23’s Summit Summer League. (Photo by Cole Wieland)

Team Durnell 72, Team Traylor 62

Team Durnell took the early advantage with Jackson McGee (Leo) showing the aggression both on offense and rebounding the basketball. With 14:41 left in the first, a Ryker Quake (East Noble) three evened things up at five, but that was answered on the other end by another McGee triple. With 13:09 to play, another Quake triple pulled Team Traylor back within three at 11-8.

With 12:27 to play, Kyle Hartsough (Lakeland) and Team Traylor got out in transition with a great behind the back sneak pass to Owen Smith (Homestead) to cut the deficit down again 13-10.  The offense for Team Durnell started ticking with Owen Prater (Rochester) being strong in the post with a mismatch that pushed the Durnell lead to 19-15. With 9:53 left, Conner Slee (Fremont) jumped in on a multi time tipped ball to come up with he rebound and tie the game at 19. But again on the other end, McGee went to work and gave Team Durnell back a lead, 21-19.

With 8:22 to play in the first half, Prater came up with a strip defensively and took it coast to coast with a bucket to push the Durnell lead to 26-19. Hartsough tied the game with a three before a 6:36 Wyatt Weaver (Homestead) midrange shot pushed Team Durnell ahead again. With 3:18 to play, Quake hammered home another triple and cut the Team Durnell lead down to 40-36 as Quake was just showing how great of an in rhythm shooter he can be. The run of Team Durnell continued with 1:17 to play as Zaine McMichael (Antwerp) earned an and one to go up 51-38 as they were clicking on all cylinders after a slow scoring start. Team Durnell led 51-42 at the halftime break.

Early in the second half, Gannon Smith (Mississinewa) took AAU teammate Slee to the rim with 16:01 to play to push the Durnell lead to 53-44. Weaver continued to show off more of his impressive post moves as he spun around a defender with 14:04 to play at give Team Durnell a nine point lead and then Weaver pulled up with a short bank shot less than a minute later. The game continued to play into Weaver’s favor as he put Durnell back up over 10 at 59-48 with 11:33 to play, answered with a Jaxon Robinson (Garrett) three for Team Traylor

With 9:50 to play, Preston McCann (Mississinewa) took off on the break to find Slee for a basket and then Team Durnell answered back with a Michael Raudenbush (Homestead) basket to make it 63-53 after a bit of a scoring drought. The game looked sloppy down the stretch with a lot of loose balls and turnovers; with 6:24 Gannon Smith went to work in the post for a basket to go up 65-51 for Team Durnell.

Team Durnell led 65-62 heading into the Elam Ending after a late Quake three pointer for Team Traylor. McGee opened the scoring in the extra session with a layup, followed by a Weaver basket to make it 69-62; Prater knocked down three to end the game.

OTH PLAYERS OF THE GAME: Jackson McGee (Team Durnell), Ryker Quake (Team Traylor)

All in all, week three was a success with McGee, Parent, Quake, Weaver and Moore shining but so many other pieces also making an impact throughout the three games. And, despite Team Durnell going 2-0, the games reminded highly competitive.

The second annual Summit Summer League will conclude with games next Wednesday, starting at 6:30.

Leo’s Jackson McGee escapes the defense during August 23’s Summit Summer League. (Photo by Cole Wieland)

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply